Banana loaf, or banana bread, is something that is baked on a regular basis in our house (my husband eats it to prepare for his runs, I eat it in support of him…). Ever since trying this recipe a few weeks ago, it has been my go-to. The clue is in the title – it is more of a loaf/cake than bread. Whether you have got bananas to use up, or just want a homemade snack, THIS is the recipe to use, enjoy!
100g softened unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
2 large eggs
2 mashed ripe bananas
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp whole milk
Optional – I add a handful of raisins and/or some grated dark chocolate for an extra treat
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan
- Meanwhile, grease your loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl or mixer and beat until smooth
- Spoon the mixture into your tin and pop in the oven for about 1 hour, it should rise well and be golden in colour (stick a skewer into the centre to check its readiness, it will come out clean if its good to go)
- Cool on a wire rack and serve!
And there you go, a delicious loaf that doesn’t take much work, and probably won’t last very long! Double the recipe if you want to make extra, they freeze brilliantly too.